Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
APPROXIMATELY $25 million in scholarships was distributed by the Hanover Charities, an entity affiliated with the Round Hill Hotel, during its official annual awards presentation ceremony on Wednesday at the Hanover-based hotel.Ninety scholarships...
AMID REPORTS of several incidents of sexual abuse against children across Jamaica in recent times, a St James-based pastor of the Jamaica Baptist Union is urging children and young people to say no to all sexual suggestions, especially from older...
OPPOSITION SENATOR Dr Christopher Tufton has suggested that the Government moves away from imposing direct tax such as income tax and go instead in the direction of collecting its revenues from indirect taxes such as General Consumption Tax (GCT)....
"BEWARE OF who you buy water from" is the strong warning from Basil Fernandez, managing director of the Water Resources Authority (WRA), who is concerned that public-health safety standards could be compromised as restrictions force people to source...
BUSINESSMAN RAJESH Gurunani yesterday escaped a prison term and was instead ordered to pay more than $4.5 million in fines and compensation arising from his convictions last month for human trafficking.Justice Courtney Daye made it clear that the...
- J’cans among 69 convicted criminal immigrants arrested in US Two Jamaicans detained along with a Vincentian (Vincenshian) national in a probe by Antiguan officials following the seizure of over $4 million worth of drugs have been released from custody. The Office of National Drug and Money Laundering Control... Read More
- Police Commissioner To Outline Anti-Crime Strategy Monday Police Commissioner Dr Carl Williams says he will be using a press conference on Monday to outline to Jamaicans how they can play a more active role in fighting crime. Five-hundred-and-seventy-two murders were recorded between January 1 and June 30... Read More
- Fraser-Pryce opts not to defend world 200m title in Beijing Jamaican sprint star Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce said that she will not defend her world 200 metres title in Beijing next month and will just race the 100m. But the 28-year-old track star insisted that she will defend both gold medals at the Rio... Read More
- 6.4 magnitude quake kills three in China's Xinjiang A shallow 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck China's western region earlier which resulted in three people being killed and 43 people being injured. A series of aftershocks followed with the strongest measuring of a 4.8 magnitude Read More
- 16-year-old missing …. An Ananda Alert has been activated for 16-year-old Theresa Spence of Duhaney Park, Kingston 20, who has been missing since Saturday. She is of dark complexion, medium build, and is about 5 feet, 5 inches tall. Anyone knowing the... Read More
- Popcaan signs Chi Ching Ching The Popcaan-owned Unruly Entertainment, managed by his older brother Demonie Wilson, has announced the official signing of their first artiste, Chi Ching Ching.The announcement was made just as Popcaan left the island for a two-week tour of Europe... Read More