The Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) on Wednesday confirmed that it is investigating the kidnapping of six fishermen allegedly by Venezuelans but said it would not comment on whether or not a US$200,000 ransom had been demanded.
Police Commissioner, Gary Griffith, speaking on a radio programme, said that the situation has been complicated by the fact that the Trinidad and Tobago fishermen are believed to be held in the South American country.
Media reports said that the kidnappers have given the relatives until Friday to pay the ransom or face the prospect of the hands of those detained being chopped off.
A photograph of the six men has been circulating on social media showing them sitting on the floor surrounded by men pointing machine-guns at them. The photo was sent to relatives on Monday.