Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Audley Shaw has announced plans to establish a micro stock exchange, to complement the junior stock exchange. Shaw says the micro stock exchange will target micro and medium enterprises...
Industry and Commerce Minister Audley Shaw has disclosed that the Government is now in the process of engaging technical consultants to assess the feasibility of utilising unclaimed funds held by financial institutions as a financing option for the...
The Supreme Court has ordered the reinstatement of a career public servant who was "retired" as head of the state-run Court Management Services (CMS) by Governor General Sir Patrick Allen after she was given permission to pursue further studies.The...
It is likely that charges could be laid against a disgruntled licensed firearm holder who brandished his gun inside the National Commercial Bank (NCB) in Half-Way Tree yesterday, allegedly pointing it at security personnel.According to Dahlia...
It is Kelly Magnus' dream to build a culture of reading in the six inner-city communities in which the Fight for Peace Foundation operates. Now, with the receipt of a grant from the American Friends of Jamaica (AFJ), she expects that her dream will...
- SLB publishes names of delinquent borrowers The Jamaican Government’s Students' Loan Bureau has made good on its threat to publish the names of those it describes as chronic delinquent borrowers of the agency. Following weekly reminders via the print and electronic media, the SLB on Sunday... Read More
- Correctional officers at Metcalfe Street halt work over unpaid fees Correctional officers at Metcalfe Street Secure Juvenile Remand Centre refused to work this morning, demanding that allowances due to them, be paid. They want answers on when payment will be made. Aston Johnson, Senior Negotiating Officer at the... Read More
- Police investigating double killing in Hamstead, St. Mary The police are investigating a double killing which occurred over the weekend in Crawl, Hampstead, St. Mary. One of the deceased, 79 year old farmer Charles Patterson, was found shot to death at his home Sunday morning, while the other man, 55 year... Read More
- Education Ministry Deploys Personnel, Says No Instruction Given To Close Schools The Education Ministry says it has deployed additional personnel to schools in response to the industrial action by teachers. The ministry also says it has given no instruction for the closure of schools. Several institutions this morning remained... Read More
- Windies beat Netherlands by 54 runs West Indies defeated the Netherlands by 54 runs under Duckworth/Lewis, in their Group A match of the ICC World Cup qualifiers at Harare Sports Club TODAY. Scores are WEST INDIES 309 for six off 48 overs and NETHERLANDS 167 for six off 28.4 overs... Read More
- Murders continue to climb There has been an increase in reported murders up to March 10 this year in Jamaica when compared with the corresponding period last year. In the latest National Security Update murders stood at 277 compared with 261 for the period Jan 1 to March 10... Read More