Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
The head of the local returning residents’ association is raising the alarm over what he says is the slow progress in solving a number of murder cases involving Jamaicans who have returned to the country after settling abroad. In a letter to...
The Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) last week postponed the first post-Cabinet media briefing it had scheduled in four months. The announcement and then postponement came after Naomi Francis, press secretary in the OPM, told The Gleaner in late...
Chief Justice Bryan Sykes yesterday questioned the apparent ignorance of the lone cop implicated in the Uchence Wilson Gang as the trial continued at the downtown Kingston-based Home Circuit Court. In response to questions posed by Sykes, accused...
“Mommy, if you nuh come fi Sher, she a go dead in 10 minutes.” Those chilling words in a phone call jolted a Clarendon family into panic mode as a domestic dispute turned ugly in Osborne Store in the parish in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Their...
The Ministry of Education (MOE) last week failed to deliver on its promise to hand over millions in outstanding payments for the Career Advancement Programme (CAP) to Campion College. The matter came to public attention last Thursday, when a...
- Strong 6.6 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks El Salvador — USGS A 6.6 magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of El Salvador on Thursday near the capital, but authorities said there were no initial reports of casualties or damage.The quake struck in the Pacific Ocean around 25 miles (40 kilometres) south of... Read More
- Police Continue To Probe Western Union Robbery Two men have been arrested following the robbery of the Western Union outlet in Junction, St Elizabeth yesterday afternoon, however, the police are searching for other suspects.Reports are that shortly before 3pm, the men, who were armed with guns,... Read More
- Murder At Cook Shop On Old Hope Road A security officer was shot dead by unknown assailants on Old Hope Road in Kingston yesterday. According to the police, men travelling on a motorcycle attacked 57-year-old Anthony Laoe, otherwise called 'Shower Man', at a cook shop along the... Read More
- Flash Flood Watch Continues For All Parishes The Meteorological Service has extended the flash flood watch for low-lying and flood-prone areas of all parishes to 5:00 pm today. Met Service said the persistent trough across Jamaica and the central Caribbean continues to produce unstable... Read More
- Girlz Take Positives From Warm-Up Loss The final warm-up game against Scotland provided another memorable moment on the Reggae Girlz's historic path to the Fifa Women's World Cup, but it also provided a few lessons which the players are hoping to build on before getting to France. ... Read More
- Robert Muller Says Charging Trump Is Not An Option US Special Counsel Robert Mueller has said charging President Donald Trump with a crime was not an option, in his first comments on the Russia inquiry. He did not rule out giving testimony in Congress but said he would not give any information... Read More