- Disgruntled security guards vow to continue protest Disgruntled security guards who were employed to the Pan Caribbean Sugar Company have vowed to continue their protest action until they are reinstated. The workers were sent home on discretionary leave on Sunday by the company. However, the security... Read More
- Roger to intervene The Minister of Agriculture has intervened in a dispute involving farmers from the Plantain Garden River Agro Park in the eastern parish of St Thomas, the Fred Jones Estate and the Sugar Transformation Unit, (STU). On Wednesday, Roger Clarke,... Read More
- Lady Saw warms behind the screens Patrons at Tuesday's Behind the Screens live series witnessed a performance that will stay in their minds for some time. Dancehall diva Lady Saw was guest performer at Usain Bolt's Tracks and Records Lounge. She delivered a typically raunchy and... Read More
- 13 yr old LaTonya Williams missing Thirteen-year-old LaTonya Williams of Savoy Crescent, Manchester has been missing from home since July 23. She is of dark complexion, slim build and about five-feet-one-inch tall. Information received is that LaTonya left home about 7:30 pm for an... Read More
- Teenager remains in stable condition The teenager who was shot and injured on the compound of Cornwall College in Montego Bay, St. James, remains in stable condition in hospital. A source at the school confirmed that he was shot in both hands and feet. The shooting took place about 12... Read More
- J$100 Million budget for Jamaica's Emancipation and Independence celebrations The budget for activities to highlight Jamaica's Emancipation and Independence celebrations has been significantly scaled down this year. Lisa Hanna, Culture Minister, said J$100 million dollars will be spent on activities which will begin on July... Read More
Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Prime Minister Andrew Holness this afternoon declared a state of public emergency for the parish of St James. It’s in response to rampant criminality including murders and shooting in the parish. Last year, St James recorded 335 murders, the...
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has declared a state of emergency in St James. This means that extraordinary powers have been given to the security forces and some rights have been suspended. Members of the security forces may also search places without a warrant.
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has declared a state of emergency limited to St James. It coincides with an increase in violence including murders and shootings. The latest incidents occurred three hours apart near the round-a-bout to the Sangster...
Justice Minister Delroy Chuck has admitted that he has concerns about the disparity in the punishment being handed down by High Court judges even as one of the country's top attorneys rushed to their defence.Chuck's admission comes as the judiciary...
After failing to account for how it spent $218 million in advance payment from the Ministry of National Security to import 200 pre-owned motor vehicles for the police force, the ministry revealed that it has partially terminated the controversial...