Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Some 20,000 jobs are expected to be generated in five years from the US$3-4 billion Jamaica-Gansu Industrial Park to be constructed in Nain, St Elizabeth, by the state-owned Chinese Jiuquan Iron...
ROSTOV-ON-DON (AP):With a single goal, Luis Suarez settled the fate of four teams in the group stage of the World Cup.The controversial striker, who was making his 100th appearance in his national team's light blue, scored Wednesday to give Uruguay...
Minister of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries Audley Shaw yesterday served notice that he would be taking steps to close the trade loopholes that Jamaica's trading partners have been abusing to dump goods into the country to the...
She was not placed at the school of her choice, but Somer Wilson will not allow that to distract her from working hard when she moves on to the Holy Childhood High School in St Andrew come September.Wilson was among the four top students at the...
Zayne Glenister was up many nights, wondering where he would be placed after the Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT) results were announced.He has breathed a sigh of relief, however, having gained a place at Campion College and getting perfect scores...
- Limacol Caribbean Premier League (ICPL) big bucks Nearly US$1 million in prizes will be up for grabs in the inaugural Limacol Caribbean Premier League (ICPL), organisers have announced. The array of prizes that the six franchise teams will be battling for over the next four weeks was unveiled as... Read More
- Poor turn out at Emancipation vigil Few people attended the Emancipation Vigil at the Port Antonio Square Wednesday night as messages were read and the traditional Abeng blown by Maroon Joel Bernard at midnight. The Abeng is an instrument originally used by the Maroons for... Read More
- Police seized ganja in Manchester Police seized approximately eighty pounds of ganja and a motor vehicle on the New Green main road in Mandeville Wednesday evening. Reports from the Area 3 Transnational Crime and Narcotics Division (TCND) are that about 9:35 pm a team of officers... Read More
- Castro says it was consensual Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro during his sentencing hearing today apologised for kidnapping and imprisoning three women in his home for ten years. "I'm not a monster, I am sick said Castro who stated that he is addicted to pornography. Castro who... Read More
- Court rules in favour of Rihanna The Barbados-born international pop star, Rihanna, Wednesday won a case against British fashion chain, Topshop, which had been using her image on a T-shirt without her approval. High Court Justice Colin Birss, who did not make an assessment of... Read More
- Bubka speak on doping International Olympic Committee (IOC) presidential candidate Sergey Bubka urged athletics authorities to clamp down on drug cheats and increase the length of their bans. Bubka was speaking yesterday in the wake of a recent wave of high-profile... Read More