Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
WESTERN BUREAU:Justice Minister Delroy Chuck has expressed disappointment that the amended plea-bargaining system introduced last April in an effort to reduce the backlog of cases in Jamaica's courts has not achieved the success that he had...
Several pastors across the island could surrender their marriage officer's licences in protest of a decision by the Registrar General's Department (RGD) to charge them $10,000 to register, plus an annual registration fee.The pastors are also upset...
Opposition Leader Dr Peter Phillips is calling for the immediate resignation of Energy Minister Dr Andrew Wheatley for what he has described as "the mother of all scandals" at the state-owned oil refinery, Petrojam."It has all the ingredients of all...
Education Minister Senator Ruel Reid and Ann Marie Vaz, wife of West Portland Member of Parliament Daryl Vaz, were among four caretakers confirmed by the Central Executive of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) yesterday.Reid was confirmed as the JLP...
Taxi drivers and some residents of August Town, St Andrew, are unhappy with the pace at which authorities are repairing a massive hole in the middle of University Road in the community.Just under two months ago, a section of the roadway collapsed,...
- Russell pleased at Sumfest RUSSELL praised most of the top acts on the July 21-27 show for quality performances, pointing out that the arrest of three persons for smoking on Dancehall Night was "one little damper on the spirits". He added: "It kinda killed the vibe a little."... Read More
- News in Kingston An unidentified man was shot and killed during a police operation along Spanish Town Road, Kingston this morning. The police have not released details on the incident. Investigations are continuing. In the meantime, the Police seized several rounds... Read More
- Gyptian to release: Stock and Pile Reggae artiste Gyptian is about to release the track Stock and Pile, which arguably is one of his better offerings since his 2010 smash hit Hold Yuh. Stock and Pile is due for release digitally on August 13. It was produced by New York based... Read More
- Zimbabweans joined long lines to cast their vote Zimbabweans joined long lines to cast their vote in an election being described as the biggest threat to 33-year power grip on the African nation. Robert Mugabe goes up against his longtime rival Morgan Tsvangirai after both joined in a coalition... Read More
- Autopsy report: stab wounds found on body An autopsy done on a body which was found in the Plantation Heights area in St. Andrew on Monday had several stab wounds to the chest. This revealed by Superintendent of Police Delroy Hewitt, News media reported. The police strongly believe that the... Read More
- Reggae artiste Jesse Royal is testing the waters REGGAE artiste Jesse Royal is testing the waters with his recently released sophomore mixtape In Comes the Small Axe.The 11-track tape was released on May 4. The various production houses featured on the track include Overstanding, XTM Nation and... Read More