- Jamaican appointed to top White House position Jamaican born Claudia Gordon has been appointed as associate director in the White House Office of Public Engagement in the Obama administration. The Deaf News Today reports that Gordon moves from the Department of Labour where she dealt with... Read More
- 170 pounds of ganja found in Cave district The Black River Police in St Elizabeth seized 170 pounds of ganja at Cave district in the parish yesterday. No arrests were made in relation to the seizure. Reports are that between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm a team of officers conducted an operation in... Read More
- Mike Henry continues push for debate on reparation Mike Henry, Member of Parliament (MP) for Central Clarendon, is continuing his push to have the House of Representatives debate the issue of the British government granting reparation to Jamaica for acts committed during slavery.The MP on Tuesday... Read More
- Murder trial of Vybz Kartel could collapse The spotlight will be on the Home Circuit Court Wednesday amid signs that the murder trial of Adidja Palmer, the dancehall entertainer known as Vybz Kartel, could collapse. Prosecutors are to decide Wednesday morning whether they will continue with... Read More
- Security guard gunned down The community of Millsborough in St. Andrew was Tuesday evening the scene of a deadly drive-by shooting. A security guard was killed while walking to his workplace on Millsborough Avenue. He has been identified as Mark South, an employee of a... Read More
- JUST IN: Vybz Kartel freed of murder charge Supreme Court judge Bryan Sykes has turned down the application to accept two witness statements at the murder trial of dancehall artiste Vybz Kartel. Justice Sykes handed down his ruling a short while ago. He said he was not convinced that the... Read More
Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Prime Minister Andrew Holness this afternoon declared a state of public emergency for the parish of St James. It’s in response to rampant criminality including murders and shooting in the parish. Last year, St James recorded 335 murders, the...
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has declared a state of emergency in St James. This means that extraordinary powers have been given to the security forces and some rights have been suspended. Members of the security forces may also search places without a warrant.
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has declared a state of emergency limited to St James. It coincides with an increase in violence including murders and shootings. The latest incidents occurred three hours apart near the round-a-bout to the Sangster...
Justice Minister Delroy Chuck has admitted that he has concerns about the disparity in the punishment being handed down by High Court judges even as one of the country's top attorneys rushed to their defence.Chuck's admission comes as the judiciary...
After failing to account for how it spent $218 million in advance payment from the Ministry of National Security to import 200 pre-owned motor vehicles for the police force, the ministry revealed that it has partially terminated the controversial...