Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
WESTERN BUREAU:Justice Minister Delroy Chuck has expressed disappointment that the amended plea-bargaining system introduced last April in an effort to reduce the backlog of cases in Jamaica's courts has not achieved the success that he had...
Several pastors across the island could surrender their marriage officer's licences in protest of a decision by the Registrar General's Department (RGD) to charge them $10,000 to register, plus an annual registration fee.The pastors are also upset...
Opposition Leader Dr Peter Phillips is calling for the immediate resignation of Energy Minister Dr Andrew Wheatley for what he has described as "the mother of all scandals" at the state-owned oil refinery, Petrojam."It has all the ingredients of all...
Education Minister Senator Ruel Reid and Ann Marie Vaz, wife of West Portland Member of Parliament Daryl Vaz, were among four caretakers confirmed by the Central Executive of the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) yesterday.Reid was confirmed as the JLP...
Taxi drivers and some residents of August Town, St Andrew, are unhappy with the pace at which authorities are repairing a massive hole in the middle of University Road in the community.Just under two months ago, a section of the roadway collapsed,...
- UDC treats children Approximately 400 children from various childcare and protective institutions in the Corporate Area were treated to a fun-filled day on July 25, 2013, by the UDC which continues to celebrate its 45th anniversary. The 33rd Annual Hellshire Summer Fun... Read More
- Warren Wier makes it happen in London Warren Weir continued his good form for the season by claiming victory in the men's 200m race at the Sainsbury’s Anniversary Games in London, England today. Weir won in a time of 19.89s while his Jamaican compatriot Jason Young was second in 19.99s... Read More
- Sydney Barlett speaks on 2013 celebrations Permanent Secretary in the Youth and Culture Ministry Sydney Barlett says the government’s allocation of $100 million on 2013 Emancipation and Independence celebrations is to stimulate revenues for businesses across Jamaica. Bartlett in a press... Read More
- Ananda Alert for Brandon Daley An Ananda Alert has been activated for 17-year-old Brandon Daley, of Dry River district, St Elizabeth, who has been missing since July 22. Brandon is of dark complexion, slim build and is about five-feet-four-inches tall.The Maggotty police reported... Read More
- JFJ speaks out Local human rights group the Jamaicans for Justice says the mob killing of 17-year-old Dwayne Jones in St. James on July 22 is yet another ‘horrifying’ example of the levels of violence citizens are prepared to tolerate in Jamaica. On July 22, Jones... Read More
- JPS issues warning A warning has been issued for members of the public to be on the lookout for persons who have been stealing street lights. The problem is said to be escalating. According to Keith Garvey, Jamaica Public Service Company’s (JPS) Region South director... Read More