Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Junior Education Minister Floyd Green has urged the more than 39,000 students completing the Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT) today, along with their parents, not to lose sleep over the results.He assured them that there is a space for every child...
The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) this week attempted to arrest a policewoman accused of murder just days after the nation's second-highest court ruled that it had no such powers.INDECOM's move was, however, blocked by the...
Woman Constable Melissa White has been arrested and charged with murder and attempting to pervert the course of justice after prosecutors claimed that she fatally shot an unarmed man in Cross Roads, St Andrew, last year then lied to investigators...
Dorothy Pine-McLarty, chairman of the Electoral Commission of Jamaica (ECJ), says that she will not be making any public pronouncements on the resignation of former director of elections Orrette Fisher.Her utterances followed Fisher's recent...
Police Commissioner Major General Antony Anderson is being urged by members of the Diaspora to stand up and be the difference in the fight against crime and violence that has claimed over 300 lives since the start of the year."It is a huge job,...
- Disgruntled security guards vow to continue protest Disgruntled security guards who were employed to the Pan Caribbean Sugar Company have vowed to continue their protest action until they are reinstated. The workers were sent home on discretionary leave on Sunday by the company. However, the security... Read More
- Roger to intervene The Minister of Agriculture has intervened in a dispute involving farmers from the Plantain Garden River Agro Park in the eastern parish of St Thomas, the Fred Jones Estate and the Sugar Transformation Unit, (STU). On Wednesday, Roger Clarke,... Read More
- Lady Saw warms behind the screens Patrons at Tuesday's Behind the Screens live series witnessed a performance that will stay in their minds for some time. Dancehall diva Lady Saw was guest performer at Usain Bolt's Tracks and Records Lounge. She delivered a typically raunchy and... Read More
- 13 yr old LaTonya Williams missing Thirteen-year-old LaTonya Williams of Savoy Crescent, Manchester has been missing from home since July 23. She is of dark complexion, slim build and about five-feet-one-inch tall. Information received is that LaTonya left home about 7:30 pm for an... Read More
- Teenager remains in stable condition The teenager who was shot and injured on the compound of Cornwall College in Montego Bay, St. James, remains in stable condition in hospital. A source at the school confirmed that he was shot in both hands and feet. The shooting took place about 12... Read More
- J$100 Million budget for Jamaica's Emancipation and Independence celebrations The budget for activities to highlight Jamaica's Emancipation and Independence celebrations has been significantly scaled down this year. Lisa Hanna, Culture Minister, said J$100 million dollars will be spent on activities which will begin on July... Read More