Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
In a plea for voluntary organisations to focus on what she calls the "disease of violence and abuse caused by failing relationships", CEO of First Heritage Cooperative Credit Union (FHC) Roxann Linton has proposed that voluntary organisations and...
Betting on responsible gamingAgainst the reports of the devastating impact that gambling addiction has had on families worldwide, the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Commission (BGLC) in Jamaica has made responsible gaming one of its mantras even as...
The Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Commission (BGLC) is again warning operators of bars, shops, clubs and other businesses with gaming machines such as poker boxes, that they need to be registered to operate legally.A drive is now on to educate...
Concerns over a possible increase in the number of Jamaicans becoming addicted to gambling have spurred the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Commission (BGLC) into action.The BGLC is spending some $14 million annually in a responsible gaming programme...
$6b needed for basic infrastructure in plannedBernard Lodge developmentBasic infrastructure work for the planned Greater Bernard Lodge development in Portmore, St Catherine, is scheduled to get under way early next year, and Joseph Shoucair, who...
- Jamaica for third round Jamaica are now preparing for a third round clash with the Leeward Islands after ticking off their first victory in the Regional Under-19 Cricket Tournament in St Kitts yesterday. Jamaica, after battling to a draw in their opening game, secured a... Read More
- Snowden in limbo United States Attorney General Eric Holder told the Russian government that they will not be seeking the death penalty for NSA leaker Edward Snowden, if he is handed over to them. The Attorney General in a letter dated July 23 says the criminal... Read More
- All is well say Phillips All is in place for Jamaica to undergo its first performance assessment by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) with a date now set for a team from the Washington-based organization to arrive in the island. Dr. Peter Phillips, Minister of Finance,... Read More
- St. James man freed Thirty six-year-old Marlon Gravesandy of Pitfour, St James, has been freed by the St James Circuit Court of carnal abuse. Gravesandy was also freed of two counts of indecent assault on a young boy. It was alleged that Gravesandy committed the... Read More
- Ariel Castro accepts plea Ariel Castro who faced 977 charges after holding three women captive in his home for over a decade has accepted a plea deal. This was revealed by a Judge in the Ohio kidnapping case where Castro will not face trial. Castro will be sentenced to life... Read More
- Selena Gomez goes Buju AMERICAN pop sensation Selena Gomez has sampled Buju Banton's 1995 hit song Champion for her latest single, Like a Champion.The song is from Gomez' new album Stars Dance which was released this month. Selena Gomez uses Buju Banton’s original lines... Read More