Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Tough, new rules to protect the personal data of residents of the European Union (EU) take effect today, and Julian Robinson, the opposition spokesman on science and technology, is urging Jamaicans to pay serious attention to the issue.The General...
Justice Minister Delroy Chuck has said that public servants, including the police, who deliberately cause damage and injury to citizens and their properties while on the job should be made to cover at least part of the cost incurred by their...
Police investigators believe that an altercation over a botched paint job was what led to the deadly attack on an elderly returning resident in St Mary last month.The St Mary police have now arrested and charged two men who they believe stabbed...
Jamaicans who are summoned to carry out their civic duties serving as jurors are said to be crippled by fear, leaving the justice sector scrambling to put together jury panels to try cases, particularly in rural Jamaica.Justice Minister Delroy Chuck...
Millions of dollars go down the drain at the end of an election exercise because voters are not turning out to participate in the process despite the electoral authorities spending more than $2 billion to conduct the elections to cater to all...
- Royal baby named Royal officials say Britain's new prince has been named George Alexander Louis. Palace officials said Wednesday that the two-day-old baby and third-in-line to the throne will be known as His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge. Earlier in... Read More
- Calls for civic groups to disclose finances Conditional support has come from one organization for a motion tabled in Parliament on Tuesday calling for civil society and other interest groups to be registered and provide audited financial accounts for scrutiny. The motion was tabled by... Read More
- Pistol found at nightclub on Spanish Town road An ADP pistol and one magazine containing two rounds were seized at a nightclub along Spanish Town Road, St Andrew last night. The Hunts Bay police said that about 9:15 pm, police conducted a search at the nightclub, during which the weapon was... Read More
- Footballer returns adverse analytical finding The local sporting fraternity has been hit with news of another positive doping finding. A statement early Wednesday morning from the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), said notification came Tuesday from the Chief Medical Officer of FIFA that... Read More
- Kartel freed of Bossie murder Dancehall DJ ‘Vybz Kartel’ was freed of murder charges in the Home Circuit court a short while ago. Kartel, co-accused Lenburgh McDonald and Nigel Thompson were freed after the prosecution declared that no further evidence would be brought against... Read More
- Man found hanged in St. Catherine An unidentified man was found hanged in a section of Old Harbour, St. Catherine this morning. Residents stumbled upon the body of the man hanging from a tree along Burke Road. The police have been summoned to the scene. Investigations are underway. Read More