Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
A temporary injunction has been granted by the Supreme Court preventing the Kingston and St Andrew Municipal Corporation (KSAMC) from forcibly removing vendors at the Constant Spring Market. The injunction was filed yesterday by attorney-at-law...
Port Antonio, Portland: While the People’s National Party (PNP) has not officially settled on a standard-bearer for Eastern Portland, the options could eventually narrow down to PNP Vice-President Damion Crawford and former Member of Parliament (MP...
The Government should move post-haste to levy a tax of at least 20 per cent on sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs) as a disincentive to consumption and pump the revenues into programmes focused on health promotion and obesity prevention, professor of...
The Mona Law Society at The University of the West Indies (UWI), Mona, has come under fire from at least one senior member of the law fraternity for the posting of photographs of some female law students in skimpy clothing on its Instagram social...
Foreign Affairs Minister Kamina Johnson Smith has said that Jamaica’s bilateral and development partners have told the Andrew Holness administration that they “understand” that the decision to forcibly retake Venezuela’s stake in Petrojam does not...
- JTA allegations in limbo The magnitude of the fraud at the Jamaica Teachers’ Association could amount to millions of dollars. So far, fraud squad detectives have been able to account for J$10 million based on 13 cheques that were turned over to them. It's understood that... Read More
- Security guard shot dead 31-year-old Security Guard Kishane Haughton was shot dead in a section of Norwood, St. James this morning. Haughton went to visit a friend in the section of the area when he was gunned down by unknown assailants. Police were called to the scene and... Read More
- US justice department has filed anti-trust case to block the merger of American Airlines and US Airways The US justice department has filed an anti-trust case to block the merger of American Airlines and US Airways. The $11bn (£7bn) deal, which would form the world's largest airline, was backed by a federal judge in March and has been approved by the... Read More
- Soulja Kicked off AA plane Soulja Boy has a lot in common with Alec Baldwin -- not that he's as talented, but he's definitely as disrespectful on American Airlines, because the renegade rapper got booted from an AA plane after causing a pre-flight scene. Just like Alec,... Read More
- JUTC to meet with unions Colin Campbell, newly-installed managing director of the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) has called a meeting with trade unions representing the entity's nearly 2000 employees. Mr. Campbell, who assumed duties Monday under a three-year contract... Read More
- Monteith for Toronto Film Festival The final two movies made by late Glee actor Cory Monteith will both screen at this year's Toronto Film Festival. Organisers previously announced the September event would host the premiere of All the Wrong Reasons, a Canadian ensemble drama in... Read More