Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Scotiabank says it will be closing eight branches amid the coronavirus outbreak in Jamaica. The bank says the closures will run from April 15 to April 30. Affected branches: 1. Christiana, Manchester 2. Cross Roads, Kingston 3. Ironshore, St James...
COVID-19’s shuttering of schools has offered respite to an emotionally scarred teen who was pulled from classes on February 18 when she was reportedly held down by three boys who took turns sexually assaulting her. The teen’s mother is appealing...
Local health officials have tweaked instructions on the wearing of masks indicating that persons who cannot avoid “crowded situations” should put on the protective gear to decrease the likelihood of exposure to COVID-19. According to the Ministry...
With schools closing more than three weeks ago due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a number of Jamaican parents are finding it challenging to keep their children on track with lessons at home as teachers work out alternative arrangements to deliver...
The Ministry of Labour and Social Security said that it is working with Jamaica Post to ease a cash-flow shortage at a number of post offices across Jamaica. The problem has been attributed to pensioners, some of whom would accumulate their...
- White House Culture Jam :August 17 THREE organisations based in New York and the United Kingdom will present a live show next week aimed at discouraging domestic violence. DJT Promotions and Sunlight Productions from New York, and Global Harmony, a charity organisation from the UK,... Read More
- Andrew Riley for finals Andrew Riley qualified for the men’s 110m hurdles final after clocking 13.30s for fourth in Heat 2 of the semi-finals today. Earlier Hansle Parchment who ran in Heat 1 of the men’s 110m hurdles was third at one point in the race, before he hit the... Read More
- Fire at Venezuela oil refinery A lightning strike is being blamed for triggering a huge fire at one of Venezuela’s oil refinery yesterday. The incident took place in the town of Puerto La Cruz, prompting residents to evacuate the area immediately. The blaze was contained by fire... Read More
- St. Andrew man and 14-year old boy in custody A St. Andrew man and a 14-year old boy have been taken into custody by the St. Thomas Police following the seizure of an illegal firearm. The gun was found Sunday while a wake was in progress in Rowlandsfield. Reports are that at about 4:00 o'clock... Read More
- Ruffi-Ann makes her European debut REGGAE artiste Ruffi-Ann makes her European debut at Reggae Sundance at the E3 -Strand Eersel in the Netherlands today. "This will be my first time performing in Europe and I plan to make the most of it," she said. Also included in the line-up are... Read More
- Usain Bolt: Glasgow Commonwealth Games 2014 Triple World Record holder Usain Bolt says he is keen on making his first ever appearance at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games in 2014. There will be no major Athletics championships next year, and Bolt is considering his options after he won the 100m... Read More