Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
A former inmate, who claims to have suffered inhumane and degrading treatment while he waited for four years behind bars for his appeal to be heard, wants drastic steps to be taken to remedy some of the deplorable conditions in local prisons. The...
Gleaner printery assistant Clive Evans spent much of Saturday rehearsing and readying his attire for the National Honours and Awards Ceremony to be held at King’s House in St Andrew tomorrow. Evans will be saluted for his service to the sport of...
As concerns mounted throughout yesterday over American rapper Kanye West’s Sunday Service Choir’s improper use of Jamaica’s national symbols and emblems on apparel being sold on its website, Culture Minister Olivia Grange last night said she had...
There are some 116 libraries across Jamaica and the Public Library Network receives less than a 10th of the budget needed to sustain them. As a result, many of the commonly regarded ‘poor man’s universities’ have been falling into disrepair while...
Jennifer Housen, who had backed Peter Bunting in a losing effort to wrest the presidency of the People’s National Party (PNP) from Dr Peter Phillips, is claiming that forces bent on sabotaging her were enabled by the party hierarchy ahead of her...
- Facebook crime Florida resident 31-year-old Derek Medina who is accused of fatally shooting his wife 26-year-old Jennifer Alfonso then posting a photograph of her body on Facebook will appear in court today. Florida Police Officers responded to a home in South... Read More
- Shanyce Anderson missing An Ananda Alert has been activated for 16-year-old Shanyce Anderson of Portmore Pines, Portmore, St Catherine, who has been missing since August 7. Shanyce is of dark complexion, medium build and is about five-feet-10-inches tall. The Portmore... Read More
- Did Chris Brown had a seizure??? International sources have reported that the Los Angeles City Fire Department rushed to a Hollywood recording studio earlier this morning (Fri. Aug 9), after getting a 911 call that R... Read More
- Trevor 'T-C' Campbell says he's optimistic Manager of Jamaica's World Championship team Trevor 'T-C' Campbell says the excitement shown at the pre-event camp has made him optimistic for Saturday's start in Moscow, Russia. Campbell says 95 per cent of the athletes turned up for the team's one... Read More
- U.S email service shuts down Two encrypted email services have closed down for reasons linked to US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden. Texas-based Lava-bit service has shut down but said legal reasons prevented it from explaining why. Correspondents say Lava-bit appears to... Read More
- Strong leads in Missionary robbery The Manchester police have reported that two men were taken into custody Thursday night following the robbery of a group of missionaries in Oxford district, Manchester the night before. About 20 missionaries were held up and robbed at a rented house... Read More