Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
In a letter written by a child held in a corrections facility, the youngster has pleaded to be let out of bondage and threatened to do self-harm. The child was deemed uncontrollable by a Family Court judge and has been locked away for months, and...
Despite solemn promises given six years ago by the previous administration to wipe from the books a section of the Child Care and Protection Act, which allows judges in the Family Court to deem a child uncontrollable and commit them to the custody...
The Sunday Gleaner has obtained testimony from two of more than 30 children who are now being held in corrections facilities after being deemed uncontrollable by a Family Court judge. Human rights advocacy group Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ) has...
According to a 2016 study by the Statistical Institute of Jamaica and the Ministry of Labour and Social Security, Clarendon recorded more than 5,000 suspected cases of child labour. St Elizabeth followed with 4,126, then St Thomas third with 4,078...
ROSEAU (CMC): Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has emerged from a “bruising” campaign to claim victory in Friday’s general election and immediately extended an olive branch to the main opposition United Workers Party to work together for the...
- Facebook crime Florida resident 31-year-old Derek Medina who is accused of fatally shooting his wife 26-year-old Jennifer Alfonso then posting a photograph of her body on Facebook will appear in court today. Florida Police Officers responded to a home in South... Read More
- Shanyce Anderson missing An Ananda Alert has been activated for 16-year-old Shanyce Anderson of Portmore Pines, Portmore, St Catherine, who has been missing since August 7. Shanyce is of dark complexion, medium build and is about five-feet-10-inches tall. The Portmore... Read More
- Did Chris Brown had a seizure??? International sources have reported that the Los Angeles City Fire Department rushed to a Hollywood recording studio earlier this morning (Fri. Aug 9), after getting a 911 call that R... Read More
- Trevor 'T-C' Campbell says he's optimistic Manager of Jamaica's World Championship team Trevor 'T-C' Campbell says the excitement shown at the pre-event camp has made him optimistic for Saturday's start in Moscow, Russia. Campbell says 95 per cent of the athletes turned up for the team's one... Read More
- U.S email service shuts down Two encrypted email services have closed down for reasons linked to US intelligence leaker Edward Snowden. Texas-based Lava-bit service has shut down but said legal reasons prevented it from explaining why. Correspondents say Lava-bit appears to... Read More
- Strong leads in Missionary robbery The Manchester police have reported that two men were taken into custody Thursday night following the robbery of a group of missionaries in Oxford district, Manchester the night before. About 20 missionaries were held up and robbed at a rented house... Read More