Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
The head of the local returning residents’ association is raising the alarm over what he says is the slow progress in solving a number of murder cases involving Jamaicans who have returned to the country after settling abroad. In a letter to...
The Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) last week postponed the first post-Cabinet media briefing it had scheduled in four months. The announcement and then postponement came after Naomi Francis, press secretary in the OPM, told The Gleaner in late...
Chief Justice Bryan Sykes yesterday questioned the apparent ignorance of the lone cop implicated in the Uchence Wilson Gang as the trial continued at the downtown Kingston-based Home Circuit Court. In response to questions posed by Sykes, accused...
“Mommy, if you nuh come fi Sher, she a go dead in 10 minutes.” Those chilling words in a phone call jolted a Clarendon family into panic mode as a domestic dispute turned ugly in Osborne Store in the parish in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Their...
The Ministry of Education (MOE) last week failed to deliver on its promise to hand over millions in outstanding payments for the Career Advancement Programme (CAP) to Campion College. The matter came to public attention last Thursday, when a...
- Deadly bomb attack in Pakistan kills 11 Eleven persons including a number of teenage boys were killed when a bomb blast hit in the impoverished neighborhood of Lyari in Karachi, Pakistan yesterday. The bomb was planted on a motor bike parked outside a stadium where a football match was... Read More
- 400m athlete Ahkeem Gauntlett arrested Jamaican 400m athlete Ahkeem Gauntlett was arrested and charged for theft by police in Arkansas, USA, in June, days before competing at Jamaica’s National Championships, according to media reports. Details of Gauntlett's arrest along with his... Read More
- 13-year old Amanda Ellis missing An Ananda Alert has been activated for 13-year old Amanda Ellis of Eleven Miles, Bull Bay, who has been missing since July 21. Amanda is of dark complexion, medium build and is about four-feet-six-inches tall. The Bull Bay police said Amanda was... Read More
- Cricket fan electrocuted A cricket fan in St Lucia was electrocuted during a Caribbean Premier League (CPL) match between St. Lucia Zouks and Antigua Hawkbills at the Beausejour Ground Tuesday night, media reports have said. Julian Agard was electrocuted in the vicinity of... Read More
- Tenant hammers landlord to death 45-year-old Vidya Persad of Moulla Trace, Trinidad was beaten to death with a hammer during her attempts to evict a tenant yesterday. Persad who recently returned to Trinidad after living in Barbados for some time sought to confront the male tenant... Read More
- Fraud detected at JTA The Fraud Squad has been called in to probe the siphoning of funds at the Jamaica Teacher's Association, (JTA) following the discovery of massive fraud by auditors three weeks ago. The police were called in, after the area which housed the auditors... Read More