Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
In a letter written by a child held in a corrections facility, the youngster has pleaded to be let out of bondage and threatened to do self-harm. The child was deemed uncontrollable by a Family Court judge and has been locked away for months, and...
Despite solemn promises given six years ago by the previous administration to wipe from the books a section of the Child Care and Protection Act, which allows judges in the Family Court to deem a child uncontrollable and commit them to the custody...
The Sunday Gleaner has obtained testimony from two of more than 30 children who are now being held in corrections facilities after being deemed uncontrollable by a Family Court judge. Human rights advocacy group Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ) has...
According to a 2016 study by the Statistical Institute of Jamaica and the Ministry of Labour and Social Security, Clarendon recorded more than 5,000 suspected cases of child labour. St Elizabeth followed with 4,126, then St Thomas third with 4,078...
ROSEAU (CMC): Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has emerged from a “bruising” campaign to claim victory in Friday’s general election and immediately extended an olive branch to the main opposition United Workers Party to work together for the...
- Red Steel sent packing Disciplined bowling steered the Jamaica Tallawahs to a narrow five-run victory over the Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel in their CPL T20 match at Queens Park Oval Wednesday night. Defending a modest 146 on a good pitch, the Tallawahs restricted the... Read More
- U.S vs. Russia US President Barack Obama yesterday scrapped a Moscow summit with Russia's Vladimir Putin, with the White House citing a lack of progress in relations and 'disappointment' over the Edward Snowden affair.The rare decision to cancel the talks set for... Read More
- Road Regulators to meet today Representatives of the Police Traffic Department and the National Works Agency (NWA) are among officials who have been asked to attend an emergency meeting Thursday of the National Road Safety Council. The meeting, which is scheduled for 10am at... Read More
- Fire at Kenyan Airport Air travellers across Africa are facing long delays after a huge fire ripped through the main airport in Kenya's capital, Nairobi, forcing its closure. Hundreds of passengers have been left stranded outside Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA... Read More
- JTA staff sent on leave The Jamaica Teachers' Association (JTA) has confirmed that staff in its accounting department has been sent on leave to facilitate investigations in the discovery of irregularities. The JTA, in a statement Wednesday said that in conducting the... Read More
- Tallawahs vs Red Steel tonight The Chris Gayle-led Jamaica Tallawahs will continue their campaign in the inaugural Caribbean Premier League Twenty20 tonight at 8 p.m. when they face Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel at Queen’s Park Oval in Trinidad. Both teams have so far played two... Read More