Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
A former inmate, who claims to have suffered inhumane and degrading treatment while he waited for four years behind bars for his appeal to be heard, wants drastic steps to be taken to remedy some of the deplorable conditions in local prisons. The...
Gleaner printery assistant Clive Evans spent much of Saturday rehearsing and readying his attire for the National Honours and Awards Ceremony to be held at King’s House in St Andrew tomorrow. Evans will be saluted for his service to the sport of...
As concerns mounted throughout yesterday over American rapper Kanye West’s Sunday Service Choir’s improper use of Jamaica’s national symbols and emblems on apparel being sold on its website, Culture Minister Olivia Grange last night said she had...
There are some 116 libraries across Jamaica and the Public Library Network receives less than a 10th of the budget needed to sustain them. As a result, many of the commonly regarded ‘poor man’s universities’ have been falling into disrepair while...
Jennifer Housen, who had backed Peter Bunting in a losing effort to wrest the presidency of the People’s National Party (PNP) from Dr Peter Phillips, is claiming that forces bent on sabotaging her were enabled by the party hierarchy ahead of her...
- Red Steel sent packing Disciplined bowling steered the Jamaica Tallawahs to a narrow five-run victory over the Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel in their CPL T20 match at Queens Park Oval Wednesday night. Defending a modest 146 on a good pitch, the Tallawahs restricted the... Read More
- U.S vs. Russia US President Barack Obama yesterday scrapped a Moscow summit with Russia's Vladimir Putin, with the White House citing a lack of progress in relations and 'disappointment' over the Edward Snowden affair.The rare decision to cancel the talks set for... Read More
- Road Regulators to meet today Representatives of the Police Traffic Department and the National Works Agency (NWA) are among officials who have been asked to attend an emergency meeting Thursday of the National Road Safety Council. The meeting, which is scheduled for 10am at... Read More
- Fire at Kenyan Airport Air travellers across Africa are facing long delays after a huge fire ripped through the main airport in Kenya's capital, Nairobi, forcing its closure. Hundreds of passengers have been left stranded outside Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA... Read More
- JTA staff sent on leave The Jamaica Teachers' Association (JTA) has confirmed that staff in its accounting department has been sent on leave to facilitate investigations in the discovery of irregularities. The JTA, in a statement Wednesday said that in conducting the... Read More
- Tallawahs vs Red Steel tonight The Chris Gayle-led Jamaica Tallawahs will continue their campaign in the inaugural Caribbean Premier League Twenty20 tonight at 8 p.m. when they face Trinidad and Tobago Red Steel at Queen’s Park Oval in Trinidad. Both teams have so far played two... Read More