Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
A former inmate, who claims to have suffered inhumane and degrading treatment while he waited for four years behind bars for his appeal to be heard, wants drastic steps to be taken to remedy some of the deplorable conditions in local prisons. The...
Gleaner printery assistant Clive Evans spent much of Saturday rehearsing and readying his attire for the National Honours and Awards Ceremony to be held at King’s House in St Andrew tomorrow. Evans will be saluted for his service to the sport of...
As concerns mounted throughout yesterday over American rapper Kanye West’s Sunday Service Choir’s improper use of Jamaica’s national symbols and emblems on apparel being sold on its website, Culture Minister Olivia Grange last night said she had...
There are some 116 libraries across Jamaica and the Public Library Network receives less than a 10th of the budget needed to sustain them. As a result, many of the commonly regarded ‘poor man’s universities’ have been falling into disrepair while...
Jennifer Housen, who had backed Peter Bunting in a losing effort to wrest the presidency of the People’s National Party (PNP) from Dr Peter Phillips, is claiming that forces bent on sabotaging her were enabled by the party hierarchy ahead of her...
- Cricket fan electrocuted A cricket fan in St Lucia was electrocuted during a Caribbean Premier League (CPL) match between St. Lucia Zouks and Antigua Hawkbills at the Beausejour Ground Tuesday night, media reports have said. Julian Agard was electrocuted in the vicinity of... Read More
- Tenant hammers landlord to death 45-year-old Vidya Persad of Moulla Trace, Trinidad was beaten to death with a hammer during her attempts to evict a tenant yesterday. Persad who recently returned to Trinidad after living in Barbados for some time sought to confront the male tenant... Read More
- Fraud detected at JTA The Fraud Squad has been called in to probe the siphoning of funds at the Jamaica Teacher's Association, (JTA) following the discovery of massive fraud by auditors three weeks ago. The police were called in, after the area which housed the auditors... Read More
- Beres Hammond to receive OJ IN terms of hit songs and endurance, Beres Hammond's place among the great reggae singers is assured. Those qualities have earned the 60-year-old Hammond the Order of Jamaica (OJ) from the Jamaican government, which cited "his exceptional and... Read More
- Shelly and Hansel to be team leaders in Moscow Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Hansle Parchment have been named as captains for Jamaica's team to the IAAF World Championships in Athletics, which starts here on August 10 and comes to a close on August 18. The pair was selected by the management... Read More
- 13 year old kills family members in Brazil 13-year-old Marcelo Pesseghini shot and killed five members of his family before taking his own life after spending the entire day at school in Brazil. Investigators found the body of the teen's parents who are police officers, his grandmother and... Read More