Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
A former inmate, who claims to have suffered inhumane and degrading treatment while he waited for four years behind bars for his appeal to be heard, wants drastic steps to be taken to remedy some of the deplorable conditions in local prisons. The...
Gleaner printery assistant Clive Evans spent much of Saturday rehearsing and readying his attire for the National Honours and Awards Ceremony to be held at King’s House in St Andrew tomorrow. Evans will be saluted for his service to the sport of...
As concerns mounted throughout yesterday over American rapper Kanye West’s Sunday Service Choir’s improper use of Jamaica’s national symbols and emblems on apparel being sold on its website, Culture Minister Olivia Grange last night said she had...
There are some 116 libraries across Jamaica and the Public Library Network receives less than a 10th of the budget needed to sustain them. As a result, many of the commonly regarded ‘poor man’s universities’ have been falling into disrepair while...
Jennifer Housen, who had backed Peter Bunting in a losing effort to wrest the presidency of the People’s National Party (PNP) from Dr Peter Phillips, is claiming that forces bent on sabotaging her were enabled by the party hierarchy ahead of her...
- ATL robbed on Independence day Appliance Traders Limited (ATL) is confirming that its Half-Way-Tree Road location was the target of robbery on Independence Day, Tuesday August 6. Upon opening for business on Wednesday August 7, employees discovered that the main showroom... Read More
- FIFA provisionally suspended a Jamaican football player for 30 days Football's world governing body FIFA has provisionally suspended a Jamaican football player for 30 days following an adverse analytical finding. A urine sample done on June 11 during a World Cup qualifier against Honduras revealed that the player... Read More
- Bush undergoes heart surgery Former US President George W. Bush underwent a successful heart surgery for an artery blockage in Texas, USA. Doctors inserted a stent this morning after the blockage was discovered during a routine checkup recently. The former US President is in... Read More
- Grace warms of fraudulent cheques GraceKennedy Limited is advising the public to exercise precaution when accepting cheques drawn on the company or any of its subsidiaries from persons they do not know. The warning comes in light of reports received by the company of people... Read More
- Butcher stabbed to death 31-year-old butcher Jason Douglas o/c 'Rammy' was fatally stabbed at the Denbigh Health Centre in May Pen, Clarendon yesterday. The May Pen Police reported that Douglas was at the Health Centre sometime after 10 am when he became involved in a... Read More
- Cool cool Moscow The 2013 Moscow IAAF World Athletics Championships is less than four days away and all but two of the country’s athletes have already settled in the Russian capital. Sprint hurdlers Dwight Thomas and Andrew Riley are scheduled to arrive tomorrow,... Read More