Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
LONDON, England (AP): Iran seized a British-flagged oil tanker on Friday and briefly detained a second vessel in the Strait of Hormuz, intensifying tensions in the strategic waterway that has become a flashpoint between Tehran and the West. The...
WESTERN BUREAU: Local Government Minister Desmond McKenzie has threatened to pull the plug on the much-heralded Youth Summer Empowerment Programme should there be any semblance of malpractice in its implementation. “I have been getting complaints...
The Gleaner has obtained documents giving, for the first time this year, a peek into the financial affairs of Opposition Leader Dr Phillips and his family. While the declarations of the prime minister and leader of the opposition by law should be...
Eight out of every 10 Jamaican children have been exposed to some physical or psychological violence, according to the Junior Youth Minister, Alando Terrelonge. Another 64 per cent have been bullied, and almost 80 per cent have witnessed violence...
While welcoming news that unemployment in the country is on the decline, the Opposition has called for greater investment in developing human capital to further drive growth. Opposition Spokesman on Finance and Planning Mark Golding mentioned that...
- Murder trial of Vybz Kartel could collapse The spotlight will be on the Home Circuit Court Wednesday amid signs that the murder trial of Adidja Palmer, the dancehall entertainer known as Vybz Kartel, could collapse. Prosecutors are to decide Wednesday morning whether they will continue with... Read More
- Security guard gunned down The community of Millsborough in St. Andrew was Tuesday evening the scene of a deadly drive-by shooting. A security guard was killed while walking to his workplace on Millsborough Avenue. He has been identified as Mark South, an employee of a... Read More
- JUST IN: Vybz Kartel freed of murder charge Supreme Court judge Bryan Sykes has turned down the application to accept two witness statements at the murder trial of dancehall artiste Vybz Kartel. Justice Sykes handed down his ruling a short while ago. He said he was not convinced that the... Read More
- Tifa: latest victim of false advertising Dancehall diva Tifa is once again the victim of false advertising. An event called Secrets which is being advertised for August 5, has the artiste billed to perform along with I Octane and Miss Kitty as emcee. However, Tifa says she has no... Read More
- Director general of the Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority has rejected resignation call The outgoing director general of the Jamaica Civil Aviation Authority has rejected a suggestion by a letter written that he should resign because of the protracted period it has taken to complete the final report into the December 2009 American... Read More
- Opposition concerned about voters' list The opposition Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) has voiced concern about the names of persons now on the voters list. Audley Shaw, the party’s Deputy leader believes the list needs to be updated. He was addressing a meeting of Area Council 3 on Sunday.... Read More