Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
WESTERN BUREAU: With three more lives lost, two of them children, on the Rose Hall Highway in St James, stakeholders are calling for a rezoning of the accident-prone main road. Principal of the John Rollins Success Primary School, Yvonne Miller...
Alister McLean, a member of the disabled community in Jamaica, believes that members of parliament (MPs) must express the same zeal for allowing persons with disabilities easy access to constituency offices, as they do when it is election time....
Security specialist Alethea Fuller, who heads the Policy and Commissioning for the Police and Crime Commissioner in West Midlands in England, says as much effort needs to be placed on rehabilitating domestic abuse offenders as their victims.Fuller,...
Nearly $1 billion has been allocated to all members of parliament (MPs) for enhancement work in their constituencies, but Prime Minister Andrew Holness has sought to assure taxpayers that this will not be the usual 'bollo work' traditionally doled...
The misuse and overuse of antibiotics by Jamaicans is costing the Government millions of dollars. However, while the financial implications are of concern, Minister of Health Dr Christopher Tufton said certain diseases could become untreatable and...
- 269 killed in road crashes so far this year The lastest figures show that 269 people have been killed on the Jamaica's roads since the start of the year. The figure is a 15 per cent reduction when compared to the similar period last year. The Road Safety Unit is predicting a 10 per cent... Read More
- Medical Doctor Jephthah Ford To Be Sentenced Today On Corruption Conviction Well-known medical doctor, Jephthah Ford, is scheduled to be sentenced today following his conviction on corruption charges. In August, Ford was convicted on two counts of attempting to pervert the course of justice. He was convicted for offering a... Read More
- Met Service Extends Flash Flood Watch For All Parishes The Meteorological Service of Jamaica has extended its Flash Flood Watch for low-lying and flood-prone areas of all parishes until 5 o’clock this afternoon. It says a Stationary Front across the western Caribbean continues to produce unstable... Read More
- Alleged gangster shot dead in Montego Bay There was more bloodletting in Montego Bay St. James on Wednesday night, with Omar Lewis, an alleged gangster from Canterbury, being shot dead. Investigators say Lewis was gunned down about 8 o'clock in Catherine Hall. Police say Lewis had just... Read More
- Three former champions move closer to DaCosta Cup semis Former champions Rusea's along with St Elizabeth Technical, Dinthill and Holmwood Technical have all taken pivotal steps towards reaching the semi-finals of the ISSA Flow DaCosta Cup following Wednesday's penultimate series of matches in the quarter... Read More
- 325-pound woman charged for murder after sitting on 9-y-o girl A 325-pound Florida woman is charged with killing her nine-year-old cousin by sitting on the child as punishment. 64, Veronica Green Posey was arrested and charged with homicide and cruelty toward a child. Paramedics and deputies responded to the... Read More