Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Public school teachers have again voted to reject the Government's wage offer. The latest offer was made to the teachers on Friday and presented to members of the General Council of the Jamaica Teachers’ Association (JTA) at a special...
The security forces are appealing to relatives of individuals detained in the State of Public Emergency in St Catherine North to cooperate with them as they seek to speedily process detainees. According to the police, people who have...
Former army chief Major General Antony Anderson was this morning sworn in as the 30th Commissioner of Police. He succeeds George Quallo who retired earlier this year. Anderson was sworn by Bishop Dr Gary Welsh, Justice of the Peace and...
A split in the deadly Clansman gang has been playing out violently across sections of the St Catherine North Police Division and is believed to be the main driver behind a 60 per cent increase in murders in the area since the start of this year.With...
Three wanted persons were among a group of more than 60 men picked up by the police in St Catherine yesterday, following Prime Minister Andrew Holness' declaration of a state of public emergency in the St Catherine North Police Division.The state of...
- Multi-sectoral crime plan to be launched by PM The Government is promising to shortly unveil a multi-sectoral plan aimed at tackling the country's crime problem. Prime Minister Andrew Holness is scheduled to address the nation, during which he will provide details. National Security Minister... Read More
- Senior Citizen Found Floating In River In Pennants, Clarendon The body of 70-year-old Whitfield Burrell, a farmer of Pennants district in Clarendon, was discovered by residents floating in the Thomas River in the community about 7 yesterday morning. The police were summoned and the body taken to Chapelton... Read More
- Flash Flood Watch Extended For Low-Lying And Flood-Prone Areas Persons living in low-lying and flood-prone areas are being encouraged to remain on the alert. The Meteorological Service has further extended the Flash Flood Watch for these communities. The alert remains in place until 5 this afternoon. The Met... Read More
- Alia Atkinson splashes up two gold at FINA/Air Weave Swimming World Cup Jamaica’s two time Olympic swimming finalist Alia Atkinson splashed up two gold medals at the 2017 FINA/Air Weave Swimming World Cup in Hong Kong on the weekend. This is after she won the women’s 100 metres breaststroke on Saturday and then returned... Read More
- Las Vegas shooting: At least 58 dead at Mandalay Bay Hotel Fifty-eight people are now known to have been killed in a mass shooting at an open air concert in Las Vegas while another 515 were wounded. Las Vegas Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said that the number of people who have died associated with this event has... Read More
- 44 families get keys to new St Catherine homes Forty-four beneficiaries received keys to their new homes at the National Housing Trust’s Berkshire Court housing development located on Brunswick Avenue in St Catherine last Friday. Prime Minister Andrew Holness led the handover of the keys to the... Read More