Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
A mouth-watering rematch between Germany and Brazil could be on the cards at the finals of the 2018 FIFA World Cup much earlier than any football fan could have anticipated.The two, who played out a 7-1 German win at the 2014 FIFA World Cup, could...
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has reportedly told his Cabinet colleagues that he is prepared to take tough actions to sort out the issues at Petrojam as the controversy swirling around the oil refinery could damage its market value and scupper its...
Jamaican women have become far more empowered and independent in recent years, but a new survey has shown that almost eight of every 10 of them still believe it is natural for a man to be the head of the household, and a woman's main role is to take...
Most men with a low sperm count in Jamaica are denied the opportunity of fathering a child. But with the introduction of sperm retrieval surgery in the island, scores of men are being given an opportunity to achieve their desire of fathering...
Jamaica's successful and internationally acclaimed vaccination programme is under threat as more parents join the anti-vaccination movement which is sweeping the United States and sections of Europe.According to vice-president of the Paediatric...
- US gov't donates auxiliary vessels to JDF The US government has donated four auxiliary vessels with supplies and equipment to the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF). According to the US Embassy of Jamaica, two 38-foot Defender Safe Boats and two 37-foot Justice Boston Whalers have been donated.... Read More
- Multi-sectoral crime plan to be launched by PM The Government is promising to shortly unveil a multi-sectoral plan aimed at tackling the country's crime problem. Prime Minister Andrew Holness is scheduled to address the nation, during which he will provide details. National Security Minister... Read More
- Senior Citizen Found Floating In River In Pennants, Clarendon The body of 70-year-old Whitfield Burrell, a farmer of Pennants district in Clarendon, was discovered by residents floating in the Thomas River in the community about 7 yesterday morning. The police were summoned and the body taken to Chapelton... Read More
- Flash Flood Watch Extended For Low-Lying And Flood-Prone Areas Persons living in low-lying and flood-prone areas are being encouraged to remain on the alert. The Meteorological Service has further extended the Flash Flood Watch for these communities. The alert remains in place until 5 this afternoon. The Met... Read More
- Alia Atkinson splashes up two gold at FINA/Air Weave Swimming World Cup Jamaica’s two time Olympic swimming finalist Alia Atkinson splashed up two gold medals at the 2017 FINA/Air Weave Swimming World Cup in Hong Kong on the weekend. This is after she won the women’s 100 metres breaststroke on Saturday and then returned... Read More
- Las Vegas shooting: At least 58 dead at Mandalay Bay Hotel Fifty-eight people are now known to have been killed in a mass shooting at an open air concert in Las Vegas while another 515 were wounded. Las Vegas Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said that the number of people who have died associated with this event has... Read More