Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Cricket legend Deryck Lance Murray has been appointed to the post of high commissioner for the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago to Jamaica, according to a Trinidad Express report. Businessman Edward Ayin has also been appointed high commissioner for...
The Press Association of Jamaica has joined the call for the repeal of Section 33 of the Criminal Justice (Administration) Act, which makes it a criminal offence to take photographs or sketches of accused persons. The section in questions states: “...
Yet another Corporate Area-based school has found itself embroiled in controversy, this time for allegedly collecting fingerprints from students. Merl Grove High School is reported to have begun collecting the biometric data from students during...
Despite being caught up in a Brexit conundrum, Britain will remain steadfast in its diplomatic and financial arrangements with countries of the English-speaking Commonwealth. That is the word from British High Commissioner Asif Ahmad, who was...
Despite giving Crime Stop Jamaica (CSJ) hundreds of tips per year, many Jamaicans are still unwilling to step forward to ensure that those tips materialise into convictions. Since the start of the year, CSJ has received 723 tips, with a success...
- New Female Ward To Be Built At Manchester Infirmary A new $40 million female ward is to be constructed at the Manchester Infirmary, located at Royal Flat.Local Government and Community Development Minister Desmond McKenzie broke ground for the building on Thursday, April 25. It is expected to be... Read More
- Police Seek Help In Apprehending Killer Of 74-Y-O St James Woman The Adelphi police are appealing to residents of Lima district in Adelphi, St James to assist them in their investigation into the death of 74-year-old Evelyn Blair a member of the community who was set ablaze on Thursday.Reports are that about 6:00... Read More
- Williams Undecided Over Carifta Sprint Double With her main rivals, Kevona Davis and Ashanti Moore both missing from the Carifta Trials, Jamaica's American-based sprint sensation, Briana Williams took full advantage of the opportunity to secure the 100m and 200m double last weekend. The... Read More
- Avenatti Charged With Embezzlement, Fraud, Cheating On Taxes United States attorney Michael Avenatti has been charged in a 36-count federal indictment, alleging he stole millions of dollars from clients, did not pay his taxes, committed bank fraud and lied in bankruptcy proceedings, federal prosecutors in... Read More
- Haiti’s President Confirms Lapin As New Prime Minister Haitian President Jovenel Moise on Tuesday confirmed the appointment of Jean Michel Lapin, who has served as acting prime minister since March 21, following the removal from office after a mere six months of the government of Jean Henry Céant. ... Read More
- Nids Struck Down Jamaica's Supreme Court has ruled that aspects of the controversial National Identification and Registration Act (NIDS) are in violation of the Constitution and has declared the entire law null and void.In delivering the judgment a short while ago,... Read More