Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Jamaica’s Ambassador to the United States, Audrey Marks, last evening charged Jamaican green card holders living in America to embrace dual citizenship as a potential foil against the four pillars of immigration reform enunciated by US President...
A policeman is now nursing injuries after a squabble with a detainee at the Falmouth Police Station on the weekend left him with a fractured right arm. The incident triggered a plea from the commanding officer in charge of the parish,...
Venezuelan oil subsidiary PDV Caribe is demanding that the Government of Jamaica (GOJ) pay a minimum of US$50 million (J$6.5 billion) in core share value as compensation for the forcible takeover of its 49 per cent stake in the local refinery,...
The water woes that have been plaguing sections of the island this year are expected to continue into July and August as the Meteorological Service of Jamaica is urging citizens to prepare for what could be a very dry summer. “We would say that you...
Cherie Johnson, one of the 2019 Governor General’s Jamaica Diaspora Award for Excellence recipients, says that the power of positive thinking and a hunger for valuable educational experiences provided the stimulus to turn her life around after jail...
- Nids Struck Down Jamaica's Supreme Court has ruled that aspects of the controversial National Identification and Registration Act (NIDS) are in violation of the Constitution and has declared the entire law null and void.In delivering the judgment a short while ago,... Read More
- Time Running Out For NWC Concerning Water Meter Testing Facilities Time is running out for the National Water Commission (NWC), to get accreditation for its water meter testing facilities.The Office of Utilities Regulation (OUR), has asked the NWC to fast track the process to obtain accreditation as stipulated in... Read More
- Millions Spent On Public Education Campaign For Plastic Bag Ban The government has revealed that $30 million has been spent to date, on a public education campaign raising awareness about the ban on plastic bags - a ban that has been in place since January 1.In a speech delivered yesterday by Senator Matthew... Read More
- Two Returnees In National Under-15 Cricket Squad Jamaica's Under 15 cricketers are set to depart the island of Thursday to take part in the regional youth tournament in Antigua and Barbuda from April 11-21. The largely new-look team was presented with their playing gear on Wednesday at Sabina Park... Read More
- Wikileaks Co-Founder Arrested In London Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London.Assange took refuge in the embassy in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden over a sexual assault case that has since been dropped.At Westminster Magistrates'... Read More
- New Migrant Caravan Sets Out Hundreds of Honduran migrants, many carrying young children, set out in a caravan for that country’s border with Guatemala yesterday, hoping to reach the United States.Some of those who gathered at the San Pedro Sula bus station said they can’t... Read More