Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
The Rotary Club of Kingston is to spend about $15 million on three major projects that are to be completed in the administrative year ending June 2019.President of the club, Linval Freeman, said the projects will include the Homes for the Homeless...
Lawmakers yesterday levelled damning criticisms at the police, declaring that "too often" citizens are being charged with criminal offences without any investigation.The disapproval came after the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) proposed to a...
Despite the chaos caused by taxi operators who protested yesterday for the second day across sections of the island over what they called "ridiculous" aspects of the newly proposed Road Traffic Act, a government source said that not much will change...
Dr Garth Anderson, president of the Jamaica Teachers' Association (JTA), said he is still awaiting the official results of the Primary Exit Profile (PEP) mock exam after he made a request to the education ministry close to a month now.Education...
A few years ago, Audley Facey was faced with the predicament of bleeding eyes. Even though that condition has healed, he still has not got a break from the struggle, as he is now in need of surgery to remove a cataract from the left eye and address...
- US gov't donates auxiliary vessels to JDF The US government has donated four auxiliary vessels with supplies and equipment to the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF). According to the US Embassy of Jamaica, two 38-foot Defender Safe Boats and two 37-foot Justice Boston Whalers have been donated.... Read More
- Multi-sectoral crime plan to be launched by PM The Government is promising to shortly unveil a multi-sectoral plan aimed at tackling the country's crime problem. Prime Minister Andrew Holness is scheduled to address the nation, during which he will provide details. National Security Minister... Read More
- Senior Citizen Found Floating In River In Pennants, Clarendon The body of 70-year-old Whitfield Burrell, a farmer of Pennants district in Clarendon, was discovered by residents floating in the Thomas River in the community about 7 yesterday morning. The police were summoned and the body taken to Chapelton... Read More
- Flash Flood Watch Extended For Low-Lying And Flood-Prone Areas Persons living in low-lying and flood-prone areas are being encouraged to remain on the alert. The Meteorological Service has further extended the Flash Flood Watch for these communities. The alert remains in place until 5 this afternoon. The Met... Read More
- Alia Atkinson splashes up two gold at FINA/Air Weave Swimming World Cup Jamaica’s two time Olympic swimming finalist Alia Atkinson splashed up two gold medals at the 2017 FINA/Air Weave Swimming World Cup in Hong Kong on the weekend. This is after she won the women’s 100 metres breaststroke on Saturday and then returned... Read More
- Las Vegas shooting: At least 58 dead at Mandalay Bay Hotel Fifty-eight people are now known to have been killed in a mass shooting at an open air concert in Las Vegas while another 515 were wounded. Las Vegas Sheriff Joseph Lombardo said that the number of people who have died associated with this event has... Read More