Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Jamaica’s Ambassador to the United States, Audrey Marks, last evening charged Jamaican green card holders living in America to embrace dual citizenship as a potential foil against the four pillars of immigration reform enunciated by US President...
A policeman is now nursing injuries after a squabble with a detainee at the Falmouth Police Station on the weekend left him with a fractured right arm. The incident triggered a plea from the commanding officer in charge of the parish,...
Venezuelan oil subsidiary PDV Caribe is demanding that the Government of Jamaica (GOJ) pay a minimum of US$50 million (J$6.5 billion) in core share value as compensation for the forcible takeover of its 49 per cent stake in the local refinery,...
The water woes that have been plaguing sections of the island this year are expected to continue into July and August as the Meteorological Service of Jamaica is urging citizens to prepare for what could be a very dry summer. “We would say that you...
Cherie Johnson, one of the 2019 Governor General’s Jamaica Diaspora Award for Excellence recipients, says that the power of positive thinking and a hunger for valuable educational experiences provided the stimulus to turn her life around after jail...
- Man Charged With Murder Of Fashion Designer The man charged with the murder of fashion designer, Dexter Pottinger, yesterday pleaded guilty to several charges when he appeared in court.Charged with manslaughter, larceny and simple larceny is Romario Brown who will be sentenced on May 24... Read More
- Bail For Cop Charged In Connection With Multi-Million-dollar robbery One of the policemen charged in connection with a multi-million-dollar robbery in Hellshire, St. Catherine, in February, was offered bail yesterday.Constable Raheem Parchment was offered bail amounting to $500,000 when he appeared before the Gun... Read More
- "No Rational Basis" For Abortions To Be Legalised There is push back against suggestions for abortions up to 12 weeks after conception to be legalized, with one anti-abortion campaigner saying the proposal has no rational basis.Recently a group of local church leaders came out in support of... Read More
- Goalkeeper Coach Busby Says Girlz In Safe Hands Goalkeeper coach Hubert Busby, has boldly declared that Jamaica's France-bound Reggae Girlz are in safe hands.Barring a tragic episode, Sydney Schneider and Nicole McClure look set to make the trip to France, to carry the keys to Jamaica's goal.It's... Read More
- Sudan Military Coup Topples Bashir After nearly 30 years in power, Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir has been ousted and arrested, the defence minister says.Speaking on state TV, Awad Ibn Ouf said the army had decided to oversee a two-year transitional period followed by elections.He... Read More
- Venezuela President Allows Red Cross Entry To Jails And Military Prisons The International Committee of the Red Cross has regained access, to prisons in Venezuela, including highly guarded military facilities, where dozens of inmates considered political prisoners are being held, as President Nicolas Maduro seeks to... Read More