Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
The head of the local returning residents’ association is raising the alarm over what he says is the slow progress in solving a number of murder cases involving Jamaicans who have returned to the country after settling abroad. In a letter to...
The Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) last week postponed the first post-Cabinet media briefing it had scheduled in four months. The announcement and then postponement came after Naomi Francis, press secretary in the OPM, told The Gleaner in late...
Chief Justice Bryan Sykes yesterday questioned the apparent ignorance of the lone cop implicated in the Uchence Wilson Gang as the trial continued at the downtown Kingston-based Home Circuit Court. In response to questions posed by Sykes, accused...
“Mommy, if you nuh come fi Sher, she a go dead in 10 minutes.” Those chilling words in a phone call jolted a Clarendon family into panic mode as a domestic dispute turned ugly in Osborne Store in the parish in the wee hours of Sunday morning. Their...
The Ministry of Education (MOE) last week failed to deliver on its promise to hand over millions in outstanding payments for the Career Advancement Programme (CAP) to Campion College. The matter came to public attention last Thursday, when a...
- Cuba Legalises Private Wi-Fi, Importation Of Routers Cuba is legalising private Wi-Fi networks and the importation of equipment like routers, eliminating one of the world's tightest restrictions on Internet use. The measure announced by state media Wednesday provides a legal status to thousands... Read More
- Flash Flood Watch For Eastern & South-Central Parishes The Meteorological (Met) Service of Jamaica has issued a flash flood watch for low-lying and flood-prone areas of Portland, St Mary, Kingston and St Andrew, St Catherine, Clarendon and Manchester. This will remain in effect until 5:00 pm today... Read More
- Damaged Pipe Causes Water Lock Off In Jacks Hill And Environs The National Water Commission (NWC) is advising its customers that a damaged section of pipeline along the transmission main has forced a shutdown of the Cookhamdene water supply facility in St Andrew. The company said that customers in Jacks... Read More
- 16-y-o St Elizabeth Girl Missing Sixteen-year-old Sherena Myrie of Newcombe Village in St Elizabeth has been missing since Monday, May 27. Sherena is of brown complexion, slim build and is about 5 feet 9 inches tall. Reports from the Pedro Plain Police are that Sherena... Read More
- Wadadah Edge Baptiste Alliance 2-1 In JFF Play-Offs Wadadah Football Club snapped a 19-game winless run in the Jamaica Football Federation Premier League Play-offs, with a come-from-behind 2-1 win over 10-man Baptiste Alliance at Jarrett Park on Saturday. Despite a much improved showing from... Read More
- Israel Faces Possible Second Election Amid Coalition Crisis Israel’s parliament on Monday passed a preliminary motion to dissolve itself. The move further pushed the country toward an unprecedented political impasse, less than two months after elections seemed to promise Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu a... Read More