Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Some 20,000 jobs are expected to be generated in five years from the US$3-4 billion Jamaica-Gansu Industrial Park to be constructed in Nain, St Elizabeth, by the state-owned Chinese Jiuquan Iron...
ROSTOV-ON-DON (AP):With a single goal, Luis Suarez settled the fate of four teams in the group stage of the World Cup.The controversial striker, who was making his 100th appearance in his national team's light blue, scored Wednesday to give Uruguay...
Minister of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries Audley Shaw yesterday served notice that he would be taking steps to close the trade loopholes that Jamaica's trading partners have been abusing to dump goods into the country to the...
She was not placed at the school of her choice, but Somer Wilson will not allow that to distract her from working hard when she moves on to the Holy Childhood High School in St Andrew come September.Wilson was among the four top students at the...
Zayne Glenister was up many nights, wondering where he would be placed after the Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT) results were announced.He has breathed a sigh of relief, however, having gained a place at Campion College and getting perfect scores...
- Bail Hearing For Schoolgirl's Murder Accused Today A bail hearing is set for today for the two men charged in connection with last year’s murder of schoolgirl Shineka Gray. Gregory Roberts and Mario Morrison are to appear in the St James Circuit Court. Gray, who was a resident of Mount Salem in St... Read More
- It's by-election day in Jamaica It's Election Day in the constituency of St. Andrew North Western and the Norman Gardens Division in Kingston Eastern and Port Royal. The People's National Party's Keisha Hayle and the Jamaica Labour Party's Dr. Nigel Clarke are vying to become the... Read More
- Education Ministry Undertaking PEP Teacher Training The Education Ministry says its Student Assessment Unit is conducting island-wide training of assessment coordinators as it ramps up preparation for the implementation of the new Primary Exit Profile (PEP). PEP forms part of the new series of... Read More
- Justice Bryan Sykes sworn in as chief justice Justice Bryan Sykes was a short while ago sworn in as Chief Justice of Jamaica. The swearing in of Sykes marked the end of more than a month-long appointment as acting chief justice in January, which sparked fury in some circles, mainly legal. It... Read More
- "Fresh Princess" coming soon The internet has been buzzing with news that the Fresh Prince of Bel Air is about to be dethroned by a princess. Fans of the hit '90s show are being told to brace for a 21st century burst of girl power after the company that owns the rights to the... Read More
- Trump at odds with Republican lawmakers over gun reforms US President Donald Trump has stunned lawmakers from both parties by accusing them of being "petrified" of the National Rifle Association (NRA). In a break from his party's anti-gun control stance, Mr Trump urged lawmakers during a televised meeting... Read More