Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
BLACK HILL, Portland: A Titchfield High schoolboy was killed and 23 children hospitalised when a 15-seater bus with almost double its capacity plunged over a precipice along the Black Hill main road in Portland yesterday afternoon. A female...
Five weeks after a controversial $9-million donation from Petrojam hit the bank account of the Sydenham Citizens’ Association, nearly all the cash was removed in nine withdrawals of $900,000 each, a Gleaner investigation has revealed. The donation...
Following a ruling by the director of public prosecutions that they be charged last Friday, corporals Kirk Fraser and Ramone Scott were yesterday remanded when they made their first appearance in the downtown Kingston-based Home Circuit Court. The...
Reputed gang leader Uchence Wilson was yesterday heard in an audio recording pleading with police personnel for his then girlfriend, accused Shantol Gordon, to not face criminal charges, claiming that she had no knowledge of alleged criminal...
Police and road-safety experts are hoping that the new Road Traffic Act will drive fear into deviant motorists, whipping them into line by making traffic tickets a greater deterrent to dangerous driving practices. With the police issuing more than...
- JUTC Bus Driver Stabbed By Passenger In Half Way Tree A bus driver employed to the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) is being treated for knife wounds after he was attacked Tuesday morning by a passenger in Half Way Tree, St. Andrew.The JUTC said the incident occurred after 9 o'clock when the... Read More
- Police Announce Closing Times For Businesses In Western Jamaica The police are advising residents and business operators in the parishes of St James, Westmoreland and Hanover, that in light of the declaration of the State of Public Emergency (SoE) operating times for businesses will be adjusted. Prime... Read More
- Red Stripe Issues Statement On RSPL Finals Incident Red Stripe has expressed deep disappointment in the incident that occurred during the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) finals between Portmore United Football Club and Waterhouse Football Club at the National Stadium Monday night. During the... Read More
- Pastor and 5 Others Killed In Church Attack A Burkina Faso government spokesman says six people, including a pastor, have been killed in an attack, on a Christian church in the country’s north. The violence took place Sunday in a village, not far from the volatile border with Mali. ... Read More
- Venezuela Challenger Accused Of Coup Venezuelan authorities say they are putting down a small coup attempt, after opposition leader Juan Guaidó announced he was in the "final phase" of ending President Nicolás Maduro's rule. He appeared in a video with uniformed men, saying he had... Read More
- Bartlett Welcomes Leap In Ja's Retention Of Tourism Dollars Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett made his Sectoral Debate presentation in the House of Representatives yesterday, buoyed by news that Jamaica's retention of the tourism dollar is now at almost 41 per cent. According to the minister, the latest... Read More