Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Jamaica’s Ambassador to the United States, Audrey Marks, last evening charged Jamaican green card holders living in America to embrace dual citizenship as a potential foil against the four pillars of immigration reform enunciated by US President...
A policeman is now nursing injuries after a squabble with a detainee at the Falmouth Police Station on the weekend left him with a fractured right arm. The incident triggered a plea from the commanding officer in charge of the parish,...
Venezuelan oil subsidiary PDV Caribe is demanding that the Government of Jamaica (GOJ) pay a minimum of US$50 million (J$6.5 billion) in core share value as compensation for the forcible takeover of its 49 per cent stake in the local refinery,...
The water woes that have been plaguing sections of the island this year are expected to continue into July and August as the Meteorological Service of Jamaica is urging citizens to prepare for what could be a very dry summer. “We would say that you...
Cherie Johnson, one of the 2019 Governor General’s Jamaica Diaspora Award for Excellence recipients, says that the power of positive thinking and a hunger for valuable educational experiences provided the stimulus to turn her life around after jail...
- Tornado Kills 2 People And Injures 29 Others In Oklahoma A tornado levelled a motel and tore through a mobile home park near Oklahoma City overnight, killing two people and injuring at least 29 others, authorities said yesterday. The twister touched down in El Reno, about 25 miles west of Oklahoma... Read More
- Haitians March Against Rape After Students Sexually Assaulted More than 1,000 Haitians took to the streets of the capital Port-au-Prince on Sunday to denounce sexual violence in the country after two students were gang-raped this week. Marchers dressed in white walked to the city centre from the... Read More
- Armed Robbers Shoot, Injure 2 Cops During Robbery Spree In May Pen Two policemen were shot and injured during a confrontation with armed robbers along Main Street in May Pen, Clarendon yesterday morning. The sergeant and constable, who are attached to the May Pen Police Station, are now receiving treatment at... Read More
- Finance Minister Urges St Ann Investors To Build Homes To Meet Growing Demand Minister of Finance Dr Nigel Clarke is urging investors to consider building affordable homes for the increasing number of Jamaicans who are seeking now in the market to purchase homes. Addressing the 64th annual awards banquet of the St Ann... Read More
- Hanover Constable Under Probe After Losing Service Firearm In Taxi A police constable attached to the Sandy Bay Police Station, in Hanover, is reportedly under probe after losing his service firearm in a taxi yesterday. The policeman reportedly lost the service weapon while travelling in the taxi from Hopewell... Read More
- Shadae Lawrence Smashes National Discus Record Shadae Lawrence smashed her own three-week-old national record onSaturday when she threw a massive 65.05m to win the women's discus throwevent at Mountain West Conference outdoors track and field championships at Veterans Memorial... Read More