Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
The Supreme Court has voided the election of Dean Jones, the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) councillor for the Yallahs Division of the St Thomas Municipal Corporation.
The Praedial Larceny Prevention Unit in the Agriculture Ministry is warning members of the public, especially residents of Clarendon, to be cautions when buying meat. The warning follows reports by the Four Paths Police that seven sheep were stolen...
Dr Peter Phillips, president of the People's National Party (PNP), has charged that the imposition of a second state of emergency since the start of the year is the Government's acknowledgement of its own policy failure in regards to combating crime...
Newly appointed Com-missioner of Police Major General Antony Anderson says that improving morale among members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) and the deepening of its investigative abilities, among other things, will be critical targets...
The Jamaica Teachers' Association (JTA) is heading back to the bargaining table in another attempt at shaking the piggy bank some more as they seek to get a better wage deal from the Government.This, after members of the General Council of its...
- Holness calls on artistes to use music to promote peace and love Prime Minister, Andrew Holness, is encouraging recording and performing artistes to play an integral part in the fight against crime by using their music as a source of inspiration to promote peace and love in the society. Speaking at a Reggae Month... Read More
- Judges Meeting Over Appointment Of Acting Chief Justice Judges from across the island are now gathered at the Supreme Court for a meeting to discuss the continued refusal of Prime Minister Andrew Holness to permanently appoint Bryan Sykes as chief justice. Holness has appointed Sykes as acting Chief... Read More
- Sigma oversubscribed, but more donations needed The Organizers have said that this year's Sagicor Sigma Corporate Run has been oversubscribed, however, they still need more donations to hit the $50-million target they have set in order to meet the needs of the Spanish Town Hospital Neonatal Unit... Read More
- London City Airport closed after WWII bomb found London City Airport has been closed as military experts work to remove a 500-kilogramme German World War II bomb found in a neighbouring dock. The unexploded ordnance was discovered in King George V Dock, during planned works near the runway of... Read More
- Businessman Patrick Powell Released From Prison Businessman Patrick Powell who was last August sentenced to nine months in prison for failing to hand over his licensed firearm to the police, has been released from prison after serving six months. Joyce Stone, Deputy Commissioner of Custodial... Read More
- JADCO to discontinue public disciplinary hearings The public will soon no longer be allowed to openly watch anti-doping cases involving Jamaican athletes and local governing body, the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO). Since its establishment in 2008, JADCO has allowed the public to follow all... Read More