Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
BLACK HILL, Portland: A Titchfield High schoolboy was killed and 23 children hospitalised when a 15-seater bus with almost double its capacity plunged over a precipice along the Black Hill main road in Portland yesterday afternoon. A female...
Five weeks after a controversial $9-million donation from Petrojam hit the bank account of the Sydenham Citizens’ Association, nearly all the cash was removed in nine withdrawals of $900,000 each, a Gleaner investigation has revealed. The donation...
Following a ruling by the director of public prosecutions that they be charged last Friday, corporals Kirk Fraser and Ramone Scott were yesterday remanded when they made their first appearance in the downtown Kingston-based Home Circuit Court. The...
Reputed gang leader Uchence Wilson was yesterday heard in an audio recording pleading with police personnel for his then girlfriend, accused Shantol Gordon, to not face criminal charges, claiming that she had no knowledge of alleged criminal...
Police and road-safety experts are hoping that the new Road Traffic Act will drive fear into deviant motorists, whipping them into line by making traffic tickets a greater deterrent to dangerous driving practices. With the police issuing more than...
- Water Disruptions In Hope Pastures And Sections Of St Thomas The National Water Commission (NWC) says mechanical problems and repair works are affecting the water supply to Hope Pastures in St Andrew and several communities in St Thomas. The water utility says the supply to sections of Hope Pastures has... Read More
- Classes Promised By Crawford To Assist CSEC Students In Portland Eastern Begin JUST over 150 students preparing for the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) mathematics examination, next month turned out over the weekend for classes hosted by People's National Party (PNP) Portland Eastern caretaker, Damion Crawford... Read More
- Gov't To Make Further Investments In National Security Prime Minister Andrew Holness has declared that increased investments will be made to improve national security. Speaking on Friday at the opening of the new Lathbury Barracks Offices and Accommodation at the Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) Up Park... Read More
- Shane Matthews Wins Barita Chess Open International Master Shane Matthews won the main open section, as scores of chess players including several Masters competed at the 2019 Barita Chess Open, which took place on April 27 at The University of the West Indies. This was the second... Read More
- Apple Defends Removing Parental Control Apps Apple has defended its decision to remove a number of parental control apps, from the App Store, citing security concerns. Several app-makers complained to the New York Times that Apple had taken their products off sale when it launched its own... Read More
- Pope Donates $500,000 For Mexico Migrants Pope Francis has donated $500,000 (£387,000) to help migrants, stranded in Mexico as they try to reach the US border, the Vatican said. The money comes from the Catholic Church's Peter's Pence fund, from church collections around the world.... Read More