Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
The Supreme Court has voided the election of Dean Jones, the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) councillor for the Yallahs Division of the St Thomas Municipal Corporation.
The Praedial Larceny Prevention Unit in the Agriculture Ministry is warning members of the public, especially residents of Clarendon, to be cautions when buying meat. The warning follows reports by the Four Paths Police that seven sheep were stolen...
Dr Peter Phillips, president of the People's National Party (PNP), has charged that the imposition of a second state of emergency since the start of the year is the Government's acknowledgement of its own policy failure in regards to combating crime...
Newly appointed Com-missioner of Police Major General Antony Anderson says that improving morale among members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) and the deepening of its investigative abilities, among other things, will be critical targets...
The Jamaica Teachers' Association (JTA) is heading back to the bargaining table in another attempt at shaking the piggy bank some more as they seek to get a better wage deal from the Government.This, after members of the General Council of its...
- Appeal court reserves ruling in Trafigura case Former Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller will have to wait until February 23 to know whether or not the Trafigura affair case will go before the London-based Privy Council, the island's highest court. Last year, the Appeal Court dismissed an... Read More
- CISOCA searching for ‘robot’ taxi driver, The Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse (CISOCA) has listed a ‘robot’ taxi operator, 40-year-old Michael Swaby, otherwise called ‘Munchie’, of Kensington Road, Kingston 2, as a person of interest. Swaby is being asked to... Read More
- St Thomas man's throat slashed, body left in car in Harbour View A man was found with his throat slashed in a motor vehicle last night in Harbour View, St Andrew. He has been identified as 56-year-old Desmond Grant from White Horses in St Thomas. According to reports, residents in Harbour View saw three men... Read More
- Decomposed body of 'promising' student found in Spanish Town The family of 16-year-old Courtney Sterling of Lauriston, St Catherine is in mourning as news has emerged that the teenager's decomposing body was discovered on Monday. Courtney was a student at Spanish Town High who would have been sitting eight... Read More
- Minor 3.9 quake strikes near Maggoty, St Elizabeth The Earthquake Unit at the University of the West Indies, Mona has reported that a minor earthquake struck near Maggoty in St Elizabeth this morning. The magnitude 3.9 quake, which had a focal depth of 4.3 km, occurred about 8:35 am. It was... Read More
- Ex-US gymnastics doc gets another 40-125 years in prison The former sports doctor whose serial sexual abuse of girls and young women has shaken the gymnastics world was sentenced today to a third prison term of 40 to 125 years behind bars for molesting young athletes at an elite Michigan training centre.... Read More