Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
BLACK HILL, Portland: A Titchfield High schoolboy was killed and 23 children hospitalised when a 15-seater bus with almost double its capacity plunged over a precipice along the Black Hill main road in Portland yesterday afternoon. A female...
Five weeks after a controversial $9-million donation from Petrojam hit the bank account of the Sydenham Citizens’ Association, nearly all the cash was removed in nine withdrawals of $900,000 each, a Gleaner investigation has revealed. The donation...
Following a ruling by the director of public prosecutions that they be charged last Friday, corporals Kirk Fraser and Ramone Scott were yesterday remanded when they made their first appearance in the downtown Kingston-based Home Circuit Court. The...
Reputed gang leader Uchence Wilson was yesterday heard in an audio recording pleading with police personnel for his then girlfriend, accused Shantol Gordon, to not face criminal charges, claiming that she had no knowledge of alleged criminal...
Police and road-safety experts are hoping that the new Road Traffic Act will drive fear into deviant motorists, whipping them into line by making traffic tickets a greater deterrent to dangerous driving practices. With the police issuing more than...
- Alleged Rogue Policeman Shot, After Murderous Attack At least three top-level probes have been launched into a dramatic early morning murder, in St Catherine yesterday that culminated in a high-speed car chase, and a deadly shoot-out involving an off-duty cop and the alleged attackers, who turned out... Read More
- Second Suspect In Shooting Of St James Cop Surrenders Brandon Stora, the second suspect in the recent shooting of a police constable, has surrendered to the police. Stora turned himself in on Saturday evening, four days after he was asked by the police to do so. He was listed as wanted... Read More
- Two Held After Cops Seize Ganja and 2 Guns In Clarendon Two people have been arrested in connection with yesterday's seizure of two firearms and a quantity of ganja in Portland Cottage, Clarendon. The police said, the items, which include an Intratec submachine gun, a Bryco .38 firearm, 147... Read More
- Holding Advises Teams To Value Spin Threat At World Cup Legendary former fast bowler Michael Holding is cautioning against discounting the value of spin at the upcoming 50-over Cricket World Cup in England and Wales, even if conditions are likelier to suit quicker bowlers.Last Wednesday, the West Indies... Read More
- 5 Dead, Flooding Feared After Cyclone Mozambique’s government urged many people to immediately seek higher ground on Saturday in the wake of Cyclone Kenneth, fearing flooding and mudslides in the days ahead as heavy rain lashed the region. At least five people were killed, the... Read More
- Belize Gov't Comments On Sarstoon River Incident The Belize Government is disputing reports made by the Belize Territorial Volunteers (BTV) that the Coast Guard and army did not intervene to prevent Guatemalan gunboats from preventing a BTI vessel from entering the Sarstoon River.The BTV is a... Read More