Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Audley Shaw has announced plans to establish a micro stock exchange, to complement the junior stock exchange. Shaw says the micro stock exchange will target micro and medium enterprises...
Industry and Commerce Minister Audley Shaw has disclosed that the Government is now in the process of engaging technical consultants to assess the feasibility of utilising unclaimed funds held by financial institutions as a financing option for the...
The Supreme Court has ordered the reinstatement of a career public servant who was "retired" as head of the state-run Court Management Services (CMS) by Governor General Sir Patrick Allen after she was given permission to pursue further studies.The...
It is likely that charges could be laid against a disgruntled licensed firearm holder who brandished his gun inside the National Commercial Bank (NCB) in Half-Way Tree yesterday, allegedly pointing it at security personnel.According to Dahlia...
It is Kelly Magnus' dream to build a culture of reading in the six inner-city communities in which the Fight for Peace Foundation operates. Now, with the receipt of a grant from the American Friends of Jamaica (AFJ), she expects that her dream will...
- JADCO to discontinue public disciplinary hearings The public will soon no longer be allowed to openly watch anti-doping cases involving Jamaican athletes and local governing body, the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO). Since its establishment in 2008, JADCO has allowed the public to follow all... Read More
- Appeal court reserves ruling in Trafigura case Former Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller will have to wait until February 23 to know whether or not the Trafigura affair case will go before the London-based Privy Council, the island's highest court. Last year, the Appeal Court dismissed an... Read More
- CISOCA searching for ‘robot’ taxi driver, The Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse (CISOCA) has listed a ‘robot’ taxi operator, 40-year-old Michael Swaby, otherwise called ‘Munchie’, of Kensington Road, Kingston 2, as a person of interest. Swaby is being asked to... Read More
- St Thomas man's throat slashed, body left in car in Harbour View A man was found with his throat slashed in a motor vehicle last night in Harbour View, St Andrew. He has been identified as 56-year-old Desmond Grant from White Horses in St Thomas. According to reports, residents in Harbour View saw three men... Read More
- Decomposed body of 'promising' student found in Spanish Town The family of 16-year-old Courtney Sterling of Lauriston, St Catherine is in mourning as news has emerged that the teenager's decomposing body was discovered on Monday. Courtney was a student at Spanish Town High who would have been sitting eight... Read More
- Minor 3.9 quake strikes near Maggoty, St Elizabeth The Earthquake Unit at the University of the West Indies, Mona has reported that a minor earthquake struck near Maggoty in St Elizabeth this morning. The magnitude 3.9 quake, which had a focal depth of 4.3 km, occurred about 8:35 am. It was... Read More