Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
A National Security Ministry official has told a parliamentary committee that four years after the anti-gang law took effect, only two persons have been convicted under the legislation.
A British professor who developed a model that uses hospital data to help prevent violent crimes is trying to convince Jamaican authorities and other stakeholder groups to embrace the initiative.The Cardiff Model was developed by Jonathan Shepherd,...
Members of the National Youth Parliament of Jamaica (NYPJ) have argued strongly that a system of a two-term limit for prime ministers should be implemented, while the mandatory retirement age of members of parliament and senators should be set at 75...
The killing of a parent in front of Lannaman's Preparatory School in St Andrew yesterday has left a school community in shock.Dead is 47-year-old businessman Ainsley Folkes, who was shot multiple times in his car at the school gate on Terrence...
Serika Sterling's decision to start The Preemie Foundation of Jamaica was not to add another title to her rÈsumÈ. It came from a deep place within of watching two of her triplets die from complications they developed due to premature births.In an...
- JADCO to discontinue public disciplinary hearings The public will soon no longer be allowed to openly watch anti-doping cases involving Jamaican athletes and local governing body, the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO). Since its establishment in 2008, JADCO has allowed the public to follow all... Read More
- Appeal court reserves ruling in Trafigura case Former Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller will have to wait until February 23 to know whether or not the Trafigura affair case will go before the London-based Privy Council, the island's highest court. Last year, the Appeal Court dismissed an... Read More
- CISOCA searching for ‘robot’ taxi driver, The Centre for the Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse (CISOCA) has listed a ‘robot’ taxi operator, 40-year-old Michael Swaby, otherwise called ‘Munchie’, of Kensington Road, Kingston 2, as a person of interest. Swaby is being asked to... Read More
- St Thomas man's throat slashed, body left in car in Harbour View A man was found with his throat slashed in a motor vehicle last night in Harbour View, St Andrew. He has been identified as 56-year-old Desmond Grant from White Horses in St Thomas. According to reports, residents in Harbour View saw three men... Read More
- Decomposed body of 'promising' student found in Spanish Town The family of 16-year-old Courtney Sterling of Lauriston, St Catherine is in mourning as news has emerged that the teenager's decomposing body was discovered on Monday. Courtney was a student at Spanish Town High who would have been sitting eight... Read More
- Minor 3.9 quake strikes near Maggoty, St Elizabeth The Earthquake Unit at the University of the West Indies, Mona has reported that a minor earthquake struck near Maggoty in St Elizabeth this morning. The magnitude 3.9 quake, which had a focal depth of 4.3 km, occurred about 8:35 am. It was... Read More