Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
An unwavering commitment to service and betterment of the less fortunate. That was the defining characteristic of Dr Kenneth Baugh, whether he was at home in the role of husband and father, in the operating theatre as a gifted surgeon, or on the...
If it were up to Asif Ahmad, the British high commissioner to Jamaica, citizens of the former British colony would no longer require a visa to travel to the United Kingdom (UK). But since the legal requirement is out of his hands, the country will...
In an effort to boost its efforts in helping the police crack more cases, Crime Stop has created a website dedicated to collecting tips. The website – 311tips.com – allows persons to anonymously submit tips in the form of text, photos, and videos...
Business operators in both Clarendon and St Catherine are pleased with the announcement by National Security Minister Dr Horace Chang that opening hours under the state of public emergency in the parishes will be extended to 11 pm. The operators...
Melanie Schwapp, the only daughter among three children for Kenneth and Vilma Baugh, yesterday used a tribute to her father to also pay homage to their mother. The two had been together as man and wife for 54 years until the death of the former...
- Two Men Shot Dead In St James The police are reporting that two men were killed in St James in two separate incidents yesterday, hours before Prime Minister Andrew Holness declared a state of public emergency in that parish as well as Hanover and Westmoreland. In the first... Read More
- UCASE Withdraws Strike Notice On JPS The Union of Clerical, Administrative and Supervisory Employees (UCASE) says it has withdrawn the 72-hour strike notice it issued on the Jamaica Public Service Company (JPS) last Friday after it was summoned to a meeting with the Ministry of Labour... Read More
- It's Portmore Again Portmore United defended their Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) title after clipping Waterhouse FC 1-0 in a cantankerous encounter highlighted by an ugly and embarrassing bottle-throwing incident inside National Stadium on Monday Night. But... Read More
- Romania Tornado Overturns Bus And Leaves 12 Hurt Several people were injured when a tornado barrelled through southern Romania, forcing a bus off the road and overturning it in a nearby field. Twelve people on the bus were hurt and one passenger was treated for severe trauma, local reports... Read More
- Barbados And Trinidad, Shaken By 4.2 Quake An earthquake, with a magnitude of 4.2 rattled Barbados and Trinidad and Tobago, the Trinidad-based Seismic Research Centre (SRC) of the University of the West Indies has reported on Wednesday. It said that there were no immediate reports of... Read More
- JUTC Bus Driver Stabbed By Passenger In Half Way Tree A bus driver employed to the Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC) is being treated for knife wounds after he was attacked Tuesday morning by a passenger in Half Way Tree, St. Andrew.The JUTC said the incident occurred after 9 o'clock when the... Read More