Latest News From The Jamaica Gleaner
Cricket legend Deryck Lance Murray has been appointed to the post of high commissioner for the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago to Jamaica, according to a Trinidad Express report. Businessman Edward Ayin has also been appointed high commissioner for...
The Press Association of Jamaica has joined the call for the repeal of Section 33 of the Criminal Justice (Administration) Act, which makes it a criminal offence to take photographs or sketches of accused persons. The section in questions states: “...
Yet another Corporate Area-based school has found itself embroiled in controversy, this time for allegedly collecting fingerprints from students. Merl Grove High School is reported to have begun collecting the biometric data from students during...
Despite being caught up in a Brexit conundrum, Britain will remain steadfast in its diplomatic and financial arrangements with countries of the English-speaking Commonwealth. That is the word from British High Commissioner Asif Ahmad, who was...
Despite giving Crime Stop Jamaica (CSJ) hundreds of tips per year, many Jamaicans are still unwilling to step forward to ensure that those tips materialise into convictions. Since the start of the year, CSJ has received 723 tips, with a success...
- Police Announce Closing Times For Businesses In Western Jamaica The police are advising residents and business operators in the parishes of St James, Westmoreland and Hanover, that in light of the declaration of the State of Public Emergency (SoE) operating times for businesses will be adjusted. Prime... Read More
- Red Stripe Issues Statement On RSPL Finals Incident Red Stripe has expressed deep disappointment in the incident that occurred during the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) finals between Portmore United Football Club and Waterhouse Football Club at the National Stadium Monday night. During the... Read More
- Pastor and 5 Others Killed In Church Attack A Burkina Faso government spokesman says six people, including a pastor, have been killed in an attack, on a Christian church in the country’s north. The violence took place Sunday in a village, not far from the volatile border with Mali. ... Read More
- Venezuela Challenger Accused Of Coup Venezuelan authorities say they are putting down a small coup attempt, after opposition leader Juan Guaidó announced he was in the "final phase" of ending President Nicolás Maduro's rule. He appeared in a video with uniformed men, saying he had... Read More
- Bartlett Welcomes Leap In Ja's Retention Of Tourism Dollars Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett made his Sectoral Debate presentation in the House of Representatives yesterday, buoyed by news that Jamaica's retention of the tourism dollar is now at almost 41 per cent. According to the minister, the latest... Read More
- Amendments To Rent Restriction Act To Ensure Equity For Tenants And Landlords Minister without Portfolio in the Ministry of Economic Growth and Job Creation, Senator Pearnel Charles Jr says that Government is updating the Rent Restriction Act, in order to create a viable rental industry and provide equity for tenants and... Read More